Dig it good people. Chuck the Atheist is here for you. Ask any question about religion, history, anthropology, biological evolution. Most of the time I know not what I say, but you'll never know the difference unless you read-critically.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hello good people. Welcome to Chuck the Atheist's place. I really enjoy discussions about a variety of topics: biological evolution, the origin of life, history, and anthropology (philosophy and religion). If you have a question about any of these subjects, I will do my best to respond in a thoughtful and respectful way.

For the first post, I would like to make sure that everyone knows where I stand in terms of my belief system. Really as an atheist I feel that I do not have one. Sure I accept evolutionary theory, but acceptance is a bit different than believing in something. As a biologist whom has surveyed the literature covering biological evolution, I realize that the evidence makes what one believes about evolution completely irrelevant. Such evidence is compelling, comprehensive, and concilient. Saying that one does not believe in evolution is like trying to hold out in your skepticism of gravity, helocentricity, or the spherical shape of the Earth. So belief is an outmoded concept, an Iron Age artifact. There's nothing wrong with holding judgement about something until there is enough evidence to develop an informed opinion.

To be sure there is nothing in science that can disprove the existence of god, if you hold that belief. I use evolutionary theory just as an example to punctuate what I think is a very good way to frame or explain human thought in terms of the concepts of belief or faith. For faith by definition does not attempt to consider evidence. At any rate, welcome. Sit down, take your shoes off, and let's chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment